Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dear Aaden,

    You're here!  You're finally here!  You were born at 39 weeks exactly on August 30, 2010 at 1059pm -after 26 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing.  Mommy was exhausted but I got a second wind after seeing you.  It was so unreal.  I couldn't believe you were actually here - after 9 months of anticipation, worry, excitement, and wonder, you were finally here.
    Daddy got to cut your umbilical cord right after you were born (I'm sad that we didn't get a good picture of it, but oh well!)  After Daddy cut the cord, they laid you on me.  You were covered in so much vernix - I couldn't believe how cheesy you were! ;)  After a minute or so they took you from me to clean you up, do your assessment, and weigh you.  You weighed 7lbs 2.7oz (but we just say 7lbs 3oz) and you were 19" long.  You scored 9/10 on both your Apgars!

    While Dr. Armstrong was still working on me, everyone else got to ooh and ahh over you.  I just kept staring at you from across the room in awe of you and in a little bit of shock that you just came out of me.

    Daddy called your Grandma and Grandpa who were staying at our house with the puppies.  Papa and Emmy were already there and so were Pappy and Uncle Brother, so you had quite the welcoming!

    After your assessment, they brought you over to me and I finally got to really meet you.  I kissed your face, my heart was overjoyed.  I loved the way you smelled and the touch of my face against yours.  You were adorable...instantly my fears of having an ugly baby were erased.  You had a little conehead, your little ears were swollen and smashed up, and your little nose was crooked (which, I admit, I was a little worried about!  Your Uncle Brother suggested putting a pea in your nostril to straighten it out! ;) )  But, you were beautiful and you were ours.  And we couldn't be happier. 
   You had the most beautiful skin, everyone commented on it - it was so smooth and soft and your tone was beautiful. 



    Everyone went home around 1230 am and Daddy and I got to spend some time with you.  I breastfed you for a while...you had a very strong suck but I couldn't help but feel a little silly because my milk wasn't in but nursing is what helps it come in.  Your nurse Violet came in and gave you a bath and did your footprints.  We got pictures and video of both.
    We made it to our postpartum room at 2am - I couldn't believe I was still up and coherent!  Daddy and I ate turkey sandwiches (finally I got to eat!) and you slept in your bassinet.  It was so peaceful at that time.  We finally went to sleep at 4am but I kept waking up to stare at you.  I couldn't believe you were actually here.  I was a mom.  Wow.  Mommy and Daddy loved you the instant we knew about you and fell even more in love with you when you made your appearance in this world.  We love you so, so much, Aaden!
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment