Wednesday, September 1, 2010

In the Hospital...Days 0-2

Day 1 - August 31st, 2010
   I woke up around 7am.  Aaron slept a bit longer.  I felt pretty good considering I had just had a baby and I was working on 3 hours of sleep over 48 hours.  My muscles were sore though especially in my back, arms, and legs from all the pushing.  Dr. Armstrong wrote me a prescription for 800mg ibuprofen, that helped!  I also took a nice warm shower and that helped a lot too.
   Aaden is so cute!  His little nose is already straightening out - we think that it must have gotten a little smushed during delivery.  He also loves having his hands up by his face which maybe he did a lot in utero which could have contributed to the crookedness.
   Aaden had a lot of visitors the first day including, Emmy, Papa, Pappy, Uncle Alec, Aunt Nicole, Grandma, Grandpa, Nick and Cheryl Lovejoy, Aunt Krissie, Uncle Danny, Aunt Kerry, Aunt Renee, and Katie Muenzer.  Dr. Armstrong visited and Dr. Yager - Aaden's pediatrician - came to meet him and check him out.  He said everything looked fine so far.  He had a little rash but I think it's pretty common among newborns.
   Nursing was a challenge and it's painful!  My milk wasn't in still but my colostrum was.  All the nurses tried to help me which was great but they all had different advice. 
   Dr. Armstrong came and took Aaden for his circumcision around 5pm.  He was gone for about a half an hour.  When Dr. Armstrong brought him back he said he did great and that everything went well.  However, I lost it a few hours later when I was trying to change his diaper.  I was trying to change the gauze but part of it had dried and it was stuck!  I called the nurse in to help me but she couldn't get it off either, I just started balling.  (I'm sure part of it was hormone driven and lack of sleep too).  She ended up putting a ton of vaseline on it and left it for the night.  (It ended up coming off the next day, another nurse took him to the nursery and while she was gently trying to remove it, Aaden kicked her and it ripped off!  Thankfully without a problem.)
  That night I had another breakdown.  Aaden was really fussy and I felt like he was starving and he was probably also in a little pain from the circumcision.  I brokedown and the nurse asked if I wanted to give him some formula.  I took her up on the offer but I cried for the first half of the bottle.  I felt so bad that I couldn't comfort him and meet his needs at that point.  I ended up sending him to the nursery around 3am for a few hours so I could get some sleep.  I felt really bad about sending him but I was finally able to get some much needed, uninterrupted sleep!

Day 2 - September 1st, 2010
   I got a few hours of sleep and definitely felt recharged.  Took another shower and felt even better.  A little more ibuprofen, good to go!
  Everyone kept saying that they usually think newborns are funny looking but they think Aaden is a beautiful newborn (we think so too!)  So far it looks like Aaden has my ears, toes, upper lip, eyes & cheeks and Aaron's thin legs, chin, and a little freckle on his right ring finger that Aaron has too in the same place.  We're not sure where his nose came from??  Maybe Christopher??  It sure is prominent, but super cute!  It looks like he has fingers like Uncle Alec and Uncle Bub.  Things change so we'll see who he looks like in a few months. 
  We've noticed how strong Aaden is already.  He can already hold his head up for a second here and there - at 2 days old!  Everyone keeps commenting on his stregth and his beautiful skin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment