Tuesday, February 21, 2012

First Trip to ER

Poor guy was sick all weekend while we were up in the snow - he had fevers off and on, decreased appetite, stuffy nose, congested chest, a cough and he did not sleep well at all.  So Monday night after we got back from the trip, we were looking forward to getting back into our normal routine and having Aaden (and us!) get some better sleep. 

So we give him his bottle and put him to bed at about 830pm.  Well an hour later he woke up screaming.  I thought maybe he wanted more milk since he hadn't finished his bottle but he refused it.  So I got him up and we went out into the living room.  He was screaming, crying, batting at his right ear and sticking his thumb in his ear canal.  As soon as I saw that, I just knew that he had developed an ear infection after being sick.  We were able to force some Tylenol in him and decided to go to the ER.

We pulled up to the hospital and the Tylenol must have kicked in because Aaden had fallen asleep.  Aaron and I sat outside in the parking lot debating on whether or not to go in.  Would they think we were silly bringing a sleeping/calm baby in?  How much is this trip going to cost us if it ends up being nothing?  But if it is an ear infection it's better we get seen now.  Lots of deliberating and after a few minutes, we decided to go in.  We figured we were there now, better to go in and get it checked out than to have Aaden wake up in a few hours and have to come back.

I'm glad we decided to go in because sure enough - he has his first ear infection.  I am actually surprised (and thankful!) that he's gone almost 18 months without getting one.  I had horrible ear infections when I was a kid and had to get tubes put in twice - I've always been worried about my child(ren) having ear problems.

The new ER at Hazel Hawkins is really nice and the staff was great.  They had us in and out of there within an hour and a half.  Aaden was a really good boy while we were there - despite peeing all over me, the bed and the floor!  They gave him his first dose of antibiotics and told us to give him some ibuprofen when we got home.

By the time we got home, he was crying again - I think the Tylenol was starting to wear off plus he was just exhausted.  We dosed him with ibuprofen and he slept all night.  He woke up today and was already seeming to feel better!   

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Poor A (and mommy & daddy). Grace has had an ear infection but no ER (yet). I'm not looking forward to that day. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I don't think we would have needed to take him to the ER except that it was late at night. I knew if we didn't then we would have had a really, long miserable night.

    ReplyDelete